For the home page, I wanted to maximize screen space and place the most eye-catching elements near the top of the page. In this case, the organizers had a slide show that showcased the original rescue dogs that helped them start the non-profit. This slide show was buried at the bottom of their "Home" page and the GoDaddy default slide show did not reflect the site's aesthetic.
When I redesigned this page, I made sure to place the slide show at the very top of the page because it contextualizes the non-profit's story so vividly. The old slide show displayed one dog at a time and was dependent on the user clicking through all of the pictures, which I found slightly cumbersome. My redesign features three dogs at once, automatically and randomly replaces the various pictures, and allows for some user discovery via the hover effect and caption overlay. This change ensures that each dog has equal exposure and that the user understands that each rescue story is interconnected in the motivation for initially forming the rescue
Originally, the non-profit split the success stories up across multiple pages that were organized by year. This method was problematic because it depended on the user taking the initiative to spend time clicking through the various years. Moreover, the user was never able to see the totality of the organization's successes. In addition, the content on the "success stories" page was quite static and felt repetitive. Each picture was the same size and was surrounded with the same green border, which made the site seem monotonous.
I merged all of the "success stories" pages into one single page, listing the most recent successful adoptions at the top of the page. Listing all of the successful adoptions on one page helps the user see the totality of the organization's work and builds trust. To add a bit of visual interest and avoid repetition, I laid the pictures out in an interlocking masonry design; this allowed me to change the sizes and shapes of the photos. To enhance the interactivity of the page, I placed a hover effect on each photo that reveals the dog's name and his or her adoption year. Furthermore, doing so, allows the user a sense of discovery and interaction with each particular dog.